Matki chi Usal With Masala Tokri Maharashtrian Goda Masala
Matki chi usal is a delicious gravy from Maharashtra. It’s a semi solid kind of gravy made with moth beans (a.k.a matki in local lingo), although Usal is also had in the dry sautè form. Use our Maharashtrian Goda Masala for all the Marathi Delicacies to make it finger-licking-good!
What you need:
Moth beans / Matki (you can also make this with cow pea / alasandhe OR dried vatana / dried peas) - 150 grams
Oil - 1 TBSP
Tempering : Curry leaves, Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp, Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Masala Tokri Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Potato - 2 medium (or 1 large)
Onion - 1 large (minced)
Ripe Tomato - 1 large
Masala Tokri Goda Masala - 1/2 tsp
Masala Tokri Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Masala Tokri Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Dhania powder / Dry Coriander powder - 1 TBSP
Kashmiri Red chilli pwdr - 1 tsp
Amchur / dry mango powder - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp (opt. But recommended)
Garnish - Lemon juice 1 TSP + chopped coriander - 1 TBSP
1. Soak the moth beans overnight (or till they double). Drain (at this stage, you can sprout them or use as is).
2. In a pressure pan, heat oil. Splutter the tempering ingredients. Add turmeric, minced onion .Add salt and sauté well till onions turn golden brown. Now add soaked matki (moth beans), cubed potato tomato and the spice powders.
3. Sauté well for 3-4 mins till the oil slightly separates. Add 1-1.5 cups of water and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
4. Let the pressure come down on its own. Mash up the potatoes a bit to give the gravy more volume and body.
5. Add 2-3 TBSP water if you need to adjust the consistency to a gravy like texture.
6. Let it simmer for 1-2 mins , at this stage adjust salt and spices.
7. Finish with lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
8. Serve hot with Chapatis or Pav (bread rolls)