1/2 cup Toor Dal
Water to cook Dal
3/4 cup Carrot, cubed
1/2 cup Okra cubed
1/2 cup Brinjal, cubed
1/4 cup Onion, cubed or 1/4 cup Shallots, cubed
2 Tomatoes, cubed
1/2 cup Drumstick, cut in 2″ pieces
Salt, to taste
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
2 tbsp Masala Tokri Kerala Sambar powder
1/2 tsp Asafoetida (hing/kaayam)
2 tbsp Coconut Oil or Ghee
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2 Dry red chilies
1 tsp Garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp Shallots, chopped in thin roundels
A pinch of Kashmiri Red Chili powder
- In a pressure cooker, add toor dal and water (almost double the quantity of dal). Pressure cook till about four whistles.
- After the pressure is completely released, open lid and mash the dal lightly. Chop the vegetables into cubes.
- Add the vegetables to the pressure cooker along with spice powders- Masala Tokri Kerala sambar powder, chili powder, coriander powder, asafoetida and salt, curry leaves, and coriander leaves.
- Pressure cook for one whistle. Keep aside and let the pressure release.
- For tempering, add coconut oil or ghee in a pan.
- Once hot, add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add dry red chilies, chopped garlic and shallots.
- Add curry leaves as well.
- Remove from heat and add a pinch of Kashmiri red chili powder. Mix well.
- Open the pressure cooker lid and add the tempering.
- Mix well before serving.